I Gave Birth To Van Gogh!


Over the weekend the photo below surfaced the pages of my facebook and instagram.  It shows my 22-month old son coloring my IKEA furniture, while I was preparing some blogs.


The first time it happened I thought it was the funniest thing and had myself the biggest tickle-party (in secret so he doesn't think it's okay, of course).  It came out so easily with a baby wipe.  I gave him a scolding and directed him back to the coloring book.  He then started to color my expedit shelf again and this time I felt threatened.  So I took away his crayons and put him in his playpen for a nap.

Later that day as hubby worked out in the garage, (he's getting pumped up - YEAH BUDDY!!), and as I did some printer research online, I heard and felt some tapping behind my chair.  When I looked, it was Giovanni now coloring my pink IKEA chair.  


I quickly grabbed my phone and shared it on facebook (again).  I admit, it was funny.  Hubby and I had a good chuckle as he used GOO Be Gone to barely get it off.

After running a few errands that afernoon (Jo-Ann, Walmart & lunch @ Pollo Tropical - YUM!), we came home to a nap.  After the nap, hubby & Gio came down and joined me on the first floor.  He worked out and Gio played with Daizy and his toys AND HIS CRAYONS AGAIN!!  

This time he went BACK to the same chair and colored it again, and THIS TIME it wasn't as funny.



After another, even stronger scolding, he decided he would stop coloring the chair... after all, there was no more space to color, right?, and went to my closet, other chair and... well, the photos below will show you everything he showed his artwork on.  




YES!  EVEN MY SANDAL!!





In and Outside my closet doors!




I was partly upset that I didn't catch him sooner, and partly laughing inside again.  He ruined my gorgeous PARISIAN storage boxes, and there's no way to find these again.  I guess I can try to clean them, but I'll have to research some products before I do it so I won't make it worse.

I took away his blue crayon and put him in the playpen for a "Time-Out".  I'm starting early on that discipline, LOL... He cried a lil (which is normal) and then was surprisingly quiet for a long time.  When I go to check on him (just moments later), I found that he had snuck a red crayon in the crib with him.  I quickly grabbed my camera and took more photos.  Then proceeded to tell hubby what had happened.




He was FURIOUS with me for leaving him with the red crayon even after I saw him.  I wasn't thinking.  I was more focused on telling the funny story.  So he came over and tried to use more Goo Be Gone to clean it off... no go.  Then I got some clorox-inspired cleaner and sprayed the wall, but hubby is concerned it will bleach the paint and discolor it.  OY!


I rather enjoy his work of art (hehe), so we decided to try to find a huge chalkboard for him.
I think he'll love it and I think it'll be easier to clean off of any surface.
OR, I can just buy the chalk paint and make my own chalkboard.

I know every mom goes through this, so I thought I'd share the photos and story and ask how you dealt with it and how you cleaned it all up.  Thanks in advance for the advice.  =)

x0, Damaris





4 comments

Dottie said...

Sneaky little artist! I gotta tell you, I laughed hard at Gio sneaking the red crayon into the crib. That's a smart little critter! he's an artist just like his mom. :)
My oldest son used to color on everything, including the walls and my 1940s china cabinet. Someone eventually cleaned that for me, although I wish they had left my cabinet alone. It made me smile to remember him. (He's in heaven now).
I like your idea of a chalk board for Gio. Butcher paper taped to the wall might work as well.

Scrappy Pink Corner said...

Hey Damaris. It has been so long we don't talk. Gio is adorable, and although it seems funny and cute now, you must discipline that little sneaky boy. COuld you imagine in day care if he did that? They would probably kick him out or have him on timeout all day. I am laughing at what he is doing and how happy it makes him to color. He see's his creative mom crafting and he thinks he is doing the same. LOL. A chalk board and crayon station for him would be good. I honestly only had my oldest do this once and it wasn't even at my house, it was at her grandparents. They were so mad, but it was their fault for letting her do as she pleased.
Good luck with him and his creativity at work.
TFS. Ana

Unknown said...

I remember this stage well...thankfully they grow out of it. Like you I thought it was funny when Georgia did it and it came off...as soon as it started to leave marks that I couldn't remove it was no longer funny. Hope you find something to get the crayon off your Paris storage boxes.
Hugs
Caz
x

Evethmoon Crafty Creations said...

This is so funny and brings back memories of my own kids when they were small. I was always giving them paper and coloring books and making sure the crayons said washible on them. I did scold a little, but at that age I too found it cute. When they did not listen and continue to color the furniture and walls, I would take away the crayons for a few weeks. Eventually they got over it and did not do it again, my grand daughter was five when she finally learned that she could not keep coloring on walls. Giving your son the big chalk board or a big easel with paper you can tear off and he always see fresh clean paper for his art work will work. Good luck! Hugs